Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Tag question

  1. #1
    Inactive Member lj01's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    198
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi gang!
    My ten 1/2 year old Addy is not tagged. Why not? She came from PC the first year she was introduced. The ebay sellers are always mentioning older dolls tags.Why would my beloved Addy not be tagged? [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member mom_to_an_americangirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    248
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    None of my old dolls have body tags- not one. Mine were all purchased early on. Molly, Sam and Kirsten were all pre 1990 and Addy was when she first came out. My newer ones do have tags. I think it is just because they are older.

  3. #3
    Sail-Away
    Guest Sail-Away's Avatar

    Post

    Many older dolls were not tagged. The tags they had were only in their clothing. My White Sam has no tags except for her clothing. Your Addy probably has the same thing.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member horsemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2003
    Posts
    649
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My three early dolls are not tagged either.

  5. #5
    courtneysunshine
    Guest courtneysunshine's Avatar

    Post

    You have to watch out for ebay sellers and never trust anything they say as Gospel. There are many, many honest ebay sellers, but there are also dishonest or uninformed sellers as well. It is desirable to have older AG dolls so a lot of sellers try to pass off a newer doll as older. None of my pre-Mattel dolls have tags either. I have seen sellers state that something is retired when it isn't and there was even a seller today who had a doll that had the marking above the ear. In the auction she said it meant the doll was German made. I told her that the markings were not necessarily Gotz and that no one really knew what the markings were. I also told her that not all older dolls have the mark and some new AG dolls do. She wrote me back and said she didn't know that and she had gotten her information from another seller who was obviously misinformed. So, a lot of seller don't even do their research, but instead copy things they have seen other sellers write about their auctions even if they are inaccurate.

    Kim [img]smile.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't know much about the older dolls, and how to distiguish them. But I hope someone can shed some light on a Felicity I got from ebay a while back. She DOES have a body tag marked Pleasant Company 1986, but Felicity wasn't introduced until 1991, right? Do you think this could possibly be a fake? If I ever figure out how to post an album, I'll have some pictures!

  7. #7
    Inactive Member QNPoohBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 29th, 2002
    Posts
    1,460
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    None of my older girls have tags on their bodies either. I don't think the Felicity with a tag is fake. I think she is a newer China made Felicity. It seems to be the China made dolls that have body tags. The body mold was copyrighted in 1986 and they probably have tons of bodies in the factory and pop on whatever head.

    To distinguish older dolls from newer ones
    Felicity's hair is redder
    Felicity's eyes are lighter green
    Sam's hair is lighter
    Sam's eyes are darker
    Molly's hair is lighter
    Skin tone is shinier and darker
    face shape is thinner and more oval
    eyes are inset and molded

    This might be a question for Sarah S's FAQ if it's not there already!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member americangirlsrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    221
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Our Felicity's body tag says made in Germany for Pleasant company, c Pleasant company 1986. Any ideas? I'm not the original owner, so I don't know her history! The dress she came with is tagged made in China for Pleasant Company 1993. [img]confused.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member sharlit's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    293
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Robin! I should add this sort of info, it comes up a lot. But how shall I define "older" and "newer"? We don't really have a cutting-off point, do we? Or are we talking German vs. Chinese? And if we are, are we positive we are? [img]tongue.gif[/img] Part of the reason I'm afraid to talk about dating facts with the dolls is there are so many we're not totally sure are facts.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Sakurako's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 29th, 2004
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For what it's worth, I think the "made in Germany" body tags for the dolls may have started around 1995. Addy was released in 1993 -- I bought mine as soon as I could and she doesn't have a body tag. (None of my earlier dolls that I bought from Pleasant Co. do either.) The next new doll that was released in 1995 turned out to be the American Girl of Today series. Gina is one of the first AGTs (again, I raced from the mailbox to the phone with my catalog!) and she has a "made in Germany" body tag. Her box label says something like "Made in Germany, Spain, China" and I think that referred to the various places that clothing was manufactured as well as the doll. For example, the dolls' stockings were made in Spain originally. I'd have to look but I think Gina's white shirt was made in China.

    Addy's cutter sled was the first plastic item I ever received from Pleasant Co. and that was always made in China and first released in 1994. There was also a recall of Felicity's tarts that were purchased early in 1996, because the first tarts made in China were painted with lead-based paint! Before that the tarts were made somewhere else and the coloring was more realistic. Kirsten's strawberries also changed around that time and became less detailed and differently colored because they were made in China. So I think that the 1995 to 1997 period was when more and more of the accessories were made in China and the body tags were used to identify that the doll herself was still being made in Germany. When Josefina came out in 1997, the doll was made in China, too! I was so dumb-founded that I went back and read the labels on all my doll boxes before Josefina and that's when I noticed that other countries besides Germany were shown on the labels. I hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •